I made a few changes to the recipe but included them in the recipe below:
mongolian beef1 hour, makes 2 large servings
1 pound flank steak1/4 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
3/4 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup water
1 cup + 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 small onion, sliced
a few green onions, thinly sliced
- prep the beef. slice the beef into quarter inch thick slices. toss the with cornstarch and set aside while making the sauce.
- make the sauce. heat 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium low heat. add the ginger, garlic, soy sauce, and water to the pan. be sure to add the ingredients quickly as you don't want the garlic to burn. add the brown sugar and mix until dissolved. raise the heat to medium and boil the sauce for two to three minutes, or until thick. remove from heat.
- heat one cup vegetable oil in a wok over medium heat until shimmering. add about half of the beef to the oil and cook about two minutes, or until the edges are brown. remove from the pan and repeat with the remaining beef.
- Cook onions until soft but still crisp, add snow peas for a few minutes.
- return the beef to the pan and cook an additional minute or two until cooked through. add the sauce and cook for a minute until heated through.
- toss the green onions with the meat. cook an additional minute. serve with rice.